Thursday, January 30, 2020

My Stubborn Human Side

No one has ever called me a slow driver.  Speed demon, always in a hurry, the names of relevant race car drivers have frequently been thrown at me in sarcasm.  As I’ve gotten older, I have become much more careful about how fast I go, especially with the precious cargo I usually have in my car.  Between my children, my grandchildren and my children’s friends, it is seldom just me in the car and hasn’t been for almost 30 years.  So the other night when I was driving and a car came upon me flashing me with his lights to get out of the way, my stubborn side set in.  Now, when it started, I could not have gotten out of his way if I tried because I was driving significantly faster than all the cars beside me.  Plus, my moving wouldn’t have done much as I was in line and speed with the 4 cars in front of me.  But once the flashing of his brights started, I wouldn’t have moved if I could have.  In fact, my human side fully exposed, I would have loved to slam on my brakes.  He was tailgating so close, he would have probably ended up in my back seat.  However, I have enough bills, need my car and my grandchildren (who were not with me) are still traumatized from the car accident they were in with their mother in early December.  So as my selfish, stubborn, human side may have been exposed, God did protect my mind enough to keep me from doing something stupid.

This morning I was playing catch up with my morning devotional (it’s been a rough week!)  The first story was about a person who struggles with road rage.  Immediately I thought of the other night.  I could actually feel myself getting worked up again and even a little judgmental about the other car’s impatient driving.  Then came a story about a woman impatient with waiting at an appointment.  Luckily, this is an area I do better at.  But the woman in the story was relaying how frustrated and angry she was becoming only to find out that the delay was due to a tragedy in someone else’s life.  The prayer to follow stated this, “Lord, when I feel impatient, help me realize that others have burdens much heavier than mine.”

Instantly, my heart went back to the other night.  Yes, maybe the driver of the car was just being obnoxious.  But, what if they were rushing to get to a hospital to say a goodbye?  Or maybe they were late to work.  Or maybe they were rushing to get kids home.  Or rushing to help someone who called with an emergency.  Or maybe they were dealing with something on their mind and didn’t even realize it was coming through in their driving.  How many times have I been on the road where in my heart I wish every one knew my urgency and moved out of the way?  It is so easy for us to get our backs up with others.  We need to give them what we want, not judgement, but grace.

As I read the prayer, my heart instantly cried out,” Yes, Lord! Help me remember how blessed I am to walk through this life with You by my side, on my mind, and in my heart.  Let others experience that same love, patience and grace, that you show me, through me too.”

And now to step out into the world and live in a way that shows my heart.
“Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me.  All day long I put my Hope in you.” Psalm 25:5

No comments:

Post a Comment